|Gyeongbokgung was the main palace during the Joseon Dynasty
(1392-1910). One of five palaces in Seoul, it has a 500 year
history. It was built by the founding King of Joseon dynasty, Lee
Seong-Gye, in 1395 as he moved the capital city from Gyeseong to
Seoul. Located in the northern part of Seoul, it is sometimes called
Gyeongbokgung is 5.4 million square feet and rectangular in shape.
On the south side is the main gate Gwanghwamun. To the north,
Sinmumun, east, Yeongchumun, and west, Geonchunmun. In the palace
are the Jeongak buildings such as Geunjeongjeon, Gyotaejeon,
Jagyeongjeon, Gyeonghoeru, and Hyangwonjeong. Geunjeongjeon, the
main hall, was where inquiries and morning sessions were held. In
the front courtyard, three granite walkways are present. The
slightly more elevated middle walkway was for the King. The ones on
the side were for his court. In the yard, Pumgyeseoks stand on each
side. Jagyeongjeon and Gyotaejeon were the King’s mother and Queen’s
sleeping quarters. Jagyeongjeon is famous for it’s flower wall and
Sipjangsaeng guldduk (chimney). The guldduk is recognized as the
most beautiful made in Joseon period, and is listed as National
Treasure no. 810. Gyotaejeon was the Queen’s personal living area,
and the wall and the rear entrance overlooking Amisan Mountain are
What adds to the elegance of Gyeongbokgung is its lotus pond.
Gyeonghoeru and Hwangwonjeoung. Gyeonghoeru was where foreign
dignitaries met and special festivals were held when good events
occurred in the nation. Hwangwonjeong is behind the sleeping
quarters, and is in the back courtyard. It also has a lotus pond,
but has a distinct feminine feel to it compared to Gyeonghoeru’s.
Its architecture makes great use of the surrounding Amisan’s
geography, and the area blends in beautifully, a great example of
traditional Korean palatial structure. There is also the library,
sujeongjeon, and the King’s work quarters, Sajeongjeon.
There are many designated Cultural Assets in the Palace. Many of
these were collected from all over the nation, such as
Gyeongcheonsa’s 10-story stone tower (No. 86), Beomcheonsa’s
Jigwangguksa-Hyeonmo tower (No.101), and Borugak’s Automatic Clock
and Heumgyeonggak’s Water Clock and Cheonsang Clock.
In 1910, when the Korea-Japan Treaty was signed, Japan tore down all
the Jeongak buildings in the south area and built their Command
Center on the spot. The Japanese building has now been dismantled
and the palace is in the process of being restored.
The above text was taken from here.
was originally built in 1104 as a summer palace for
the kings of the
Koryo Dynasty. When the capital was moved to Seoul in 1392, the
King lived here during the construction of the new palace (Gyeongbok).
Chosun Dynasty palaces that have a north-south orientation,
Changgyeong Palace has an east-west orientation, like many buildings
of the Koryo period. Most of the buildings were burned in 1592,
although most have been rebuilt at least once since then.
The only remaining gate is Honghwamun (National Treasure
#384) to the east. Built in 1484, like most of the buildings on the
Palace grounds, it was destroyed during the 1592 Japanese invasion,
but rebuilt in 1616. It is similar to
Tonhwamun gate in
Changdeok Palace, but has higher pillars.
Inside Honghwamun is Myongjeongmun gate and corridors
(National Treasure #385) surrounding Myongjeongjeon, the main
throne room. Burned down in 1592, it was rebuilt in 1616, only to be
destroyed again during the
Japanese occupation. It was finally restored in 1986.
The main hall is Myongjeongjeon, built in 1484. In the
courtyard, 2 rows of stone markers indicate the positions for
attending officials to stand according to a strict hierarchy. The
phoenixes on the steps represent nobility and immortality. Like the
other Palace buildings, it was burned down in 1592 then rebuilt in
At the southern part of the grounds is an overpass to
Chongmyo Shrine. Although the two were originally connected,
Japanese occupation, Yulgong-no road was built between
the them as a symbolic split. (The overpass opens at 9:00 and closes
one hour prior to closing of the Palace.)
Summer Weekdays - 09:00 ~ 18:00
Winter Weekdays - 09:00 ~ 17:30
Saturdays and Sundays - 09:00 ~ 19:00
Closed: Every Tuesday
Adults (19 to 64 years old): 1,000 won (groups: 800)
Children (7 to 18 years old): 500 won (groups: 400)
* Children 6 and under, seniors 65 and over: Free
Directions: Subway line 4, Hyehwa
Station, exit 4, 10 minutes walking
The above description was taken from here.
are visitor #
This page was last updated on
Sunday March 26, 2006